11.14.2010

fall=gear season

Been selling and buying- figure this is a good time of year to do it. Prices should be good for used stuff this time of year, right?

No longer have-

mavic ksyrium es wheels
tubular cx/gravel wheels (the ambrosios on dt240s)
velocity p35 wheelset
racing ralph 2.4s
the 1978 raleigh competition gs with lots of 70s campy
salsa woodchipper bars (sold one set, still have the other if you want it...)
lots of other smaller items-

new stuff-

dt240 disc hub/zipp 404 wheelset. Not sure what to say about these, pretty sure I really do plan to throw some 1.8s/1.9s on them, maybe wider? and ride offroad at times. They will certainly by fun on the road. I liked the price and think they are cool...







did get out for a couple brief rides on them already. One on the road and one on the mountain bike (with cx tires). Early reviews are good.


REAL designs supersonic 40 wheelset. These were so cheap on ebay that I had to do it. They will be my day to day wheels on the road bike until I mess them up. They are 'cheap' (claimed retail was 1k), light (1600g range), and use odd spokes... it will suck if they turn out to be unreliable, but they are currently in great shape and the tires on them cost as much as I paid. I still have my ultegra/mavic open pro wheelset to fall back on if these do fail me. I'm tempted to take the yellow stickers off. First ride will be tomorrow, expecting good things-









control tech carbon road bars and bontrager xxx lite carbon stem (separate purchases, but obviously go together). Have been on the Viner CX bike since right before the Night Nonsense- couldn't be happier. 12 degree stem allows me to slam the bars for cx racing and get it up where it will be comfortable for 8+ hr days with no other changes. Bars/stem feel very solid handling wise and the ergonomics is working well for me... hands don't go numb, back doesn't hurt, I'm happy! Never really said too much about that Viner frame either, which is also obviously new! It's good enough that I'm putting it in the category of "it works, I like it and I own it" alongside the Mamasita and the 585. Don't expect a lot of changes so far as frames from me in the next year or two unless something breaks.








In addition to those changes I've also picked up a bunch of tires...

specialized 1.9 borough cx
2 kenda klimax's
2 maxxis aspen 2.1s
bontrager xr 1.8 front
700x35 ird crossfires (1 white and 1 blue for the viner)

I'll be testing the tires on various wheel combinations as the weather allows. I plan to make the Zipp's work tubeless- although possibly only for cx season. Just need to cut up some tubes to make valves.

Since the weather has been crap the last few days and may well continue to be crap I'll probably end up riding the Kona winter fixie abomination as detailed in my last post... works for me (although I'd like at least a chance to ride the REAL design wheels and the Zipps on dry gravel at some point before winter)

sorry for the long post

No comments:

Post a Comment